A stone fruit is a fruit with a PIT, or stone. Plums, peaches, cherries – avocados have hearts of stone, and thus are a kind of stone fruit.
Cardamom Plum Porridge
We made this with rolled oats, but feel free to experiment! Cream of wheat would probably be delicious, as would a whole wheat grain.
- Cook your grain with a 1 part grain to 2 parts water ratio. Season with a pinch of GROUND CARDAMOM, a pinch of CINNAMON, a tiny pinch of SALT, and a drizzle of COCONUT OIL.
- Add chopped up PLUM when the porridge is almost done cooking.
- Top with PISTACHIOS, HONEY.
- If you want to make it real mushy and creamy, add ALMOND MILK.
Peach Einkorn Porridge
Sometimes porridge takes a really long time to cook. This true fact is the reason the Kellogg brothers invented cereal. This porridge is one to make if you feel like trying a new grain and don’t mind a long boiling time. As in overnight. But if you’re tired of plain old peaches & cream oatmeal, consider trying einkorn! It is a strand of wheat that has a complex subtle flavor, and a good chewy texture. It’s a bit like buckwheat kasha.
- The NIGHT BEFORE, add 1 cup EINKORN, 5 cups WATER, a pinch of SALT, and a little bit of BUTTER to a slow cooker. Leave it on low overnight.
- When you wake up, the grain should be soft and the water should be starchy. If not, turn the slow cooker up to high and give the porridge another hour of cooking time. Whether low or high, toss in chopped up PEACH so the fruit gets hot and soft.
- Top porridge with MAPLE SYRUP, and a little MILK, CREAM, or COCONUT MILK.
Cherry Einkorn Cereal
Einkorn cereal takes much less time to cook, and might therefore be considered less labor intensive than einkorn porridge. The final grain will be chewier and the liquid will not be as starchy (the same difference between rice and risotto). Toasting it gives it a richer (more buttery) flavor.
- Toast raw EINKORN with a pat of BUTTER on medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Cover with water and a pinch of SALT, and boil for 1-1.5 hours. Make sure the einkorn is always covered in water. Optional, add a splash of VANILLA towards the end.
- Season with CINNAMON. Serve with MILK, PITTED CHERRIES, and sliced ALMONDS.